About the Facebook App
The Facebook application is an update to the old Paperbook application. Both were built in the Application Development Framework (ADF).
The Facebook ADF App provides the ability to use Facebook's new Social Plugins APIs to add the following features to your site:
- Activity Feed: It displays the most interesting recent activity taking place on the site, as determined by Facebook's algorithms. Since the content is hosted by Facebook, the plugin can display personalized content whether or not the user has logged into (connected to) the site. The activity feed displays stories both when users like content on the site and when users share content from the site back to Facebook.
- Commnets Box: It enables visitors to the site to comment on its content — whether it's for a web page, article, photo, or other piece of content. Then the user can share the comment on Facebook on their Wall and in their friends' streams.
- Friend Pile: It shows profile pictures of the user's friends who have already signed up for the site via a Login Button.
- Like Button: Allows users to share interesting pages from the site on Facebook.
- Like Box: Enables users to like your Facebook Page and view its stream directly from the website.
- Log in Button: Allows users to "connect" their Facebook accounts with your site.
- Post to Facebook Page: Allows your contributors to post to a Facebook Page they are an admin for, directly from CommonSpot.
ADF must be configured correctly for your site. Site Configuration (ADF.cfc) has instructions for configuration.
- v1.2 is only compatible with ADF v1.5.
- v1.1 and below are compatible with the ADF v1.5 and below.
The Facebook App contains the following:
- Custom Coding - various components and scripts.
- Custom Elements:
- Custom Fields:
- Post to Facebook Page.
Note: Elements may contain one or more: Render Handlers, Display Templates, or Custom Field Types
Application Development Framework (ADF) must be setup and configured on the server for the site that will be implementing the Facebook application. For detailed instructions, see the Application Development Framework (ADF) wiki page for Site Configurations.
This installation guide assumes that you have no Custom Elements/Metadata Forms with the names above. Before the installation of the Facebook App, remove any Custom Elements/Custom Field Types with the names contained in the "Contents" section above. (If you do not remove existing elements with these names, you may have difficulties during the installation.)
Current Release v1.2:
The Facebook application provides the following features:
- Activity Feed Element.
- Comments Box Element.
- Friendpile Element.
- Like Box Element.
- Login/Friendpile Element.
- Post to Facebook Page Custom Field.
Don't forget to add your Facebook application's Application ID and Application Secret values to the facebook.xml configuration file.
Found a bug? View the Known Issues/Bugs wiki page. Your issue not on the list? Post it so the issue can be addressed.